Monday, May 15, 2006

Adventures in Indian Food for Shabbos, Satmar Groceries, and More...

This week was filled with myriad interesting experiences.
For one, I was admitted to NYU's Graduate Program In Applied Recombinant DNA Technology. Coming straight out of YU's Graduate Program for Women in Advanced Talmudic Studies, unless I hear good things from Columbia's MA in Biotech I'll be doomed to a string of graduate programs with long, unwieldly names that don't tell you much about what you actually will be doing on a day to day basis!
Just Kidding. I'm absolutely thrilled and hope I get a teaching fellowship. If I get into both and I get a fellowship at NYU I might just choose them over Columbia. That was Wednesday.

Interestingly enough, earlier that Wednesday, Hippoboy and I went backstage to the taping of Extreme Makeover home edition and met a visually impaired celebrity chef who prepared very standard American "cool" (nonkosher) fare- scampi pasta, coolwhip and poundcake parfaits... in a fantastic kitchen full of donated Hamilton Beach appliances in Avocado Green (!).

This past Shabbos, I decided to go dairy/pareve and made very simple meals.
Dinner-
Steamed Qinoa (we're very into Qinoa lately. It's quicker to cook than rice and can be made in very small quantities and is perfect as a base for those aseptically packaged heat-and-eat kohinoor kosher curries that I pick up at fairway because they are so magically delicious and easy.)
Lentil Dal (this was very spicy- almost spicier than I had intended to make it. I sauteed an onion and a few garlic cloves in olive oil and toasted with them some whole cumin seeds, tumeric, curry powder, garam masala, and cayenne. I then added a cup of dried lentils and about 3 cups of water and let it simmer for a while, set it on the blech before I lit and then served it at around 9ish - go late shabbos!)
A steamed broccoli dish which went totally untouched
Some yogurt on the side to temper the heat of the Dal
A Hatian Mango (less astringent and blander, sweeter than regular ones, and I really dont think they're nearly as good) chopped up into a fruit salad with blackberries) and some Ben and Jerry's ice cream finished the meal.
Oh, and of course Halla and Wine (Tishbi Estate 2004 Chenin Blanc. Hippoboy was not impressed but I found it quite drinkable.)

Lunch:
Mac N Cheese Kugel (whole wheat penne, halav yisroel english cheddar, shredded, J&J farmer cheese, paprika on top, baked till bublly, fridged, and put on the blech in the morning)
Field greens (horridly overpriced but the only decent lettuce in the market) and endive salad with avocado, lemon, olive oil, and pink hawaiian salt.
Homemade Tehina (sesame paste, water, lemon juice, salt, cumin)
Hallah
Granny Smith Hard Cider
Wine
Ice Cream

This is getting to be rather a long post, so I'll leave our Boro Park and Mothers Day adventures for another one.

No comments: