Friday, April 21, 2006

I Even Cook In My Dreams

Hippogirl is eating- nothing, still too fooded-out from pesah. Starbucks later, maybe.

I had the weirdest dream last night.

It was Friday afternoon in my apartment in the Heights- only somehow it was also magically Los Angeles as well- and I had invited the entire world- including a bunch of my professors from Revel (a program I dropped out of, incidentally,) to Shabbat Dinner. But it wasn't just any Shabbat Dinner, it was the Friday night after Pesah! I hastily put up pareve cholent from leftover potatoes and a can of turtle beans, then left for shul (you know it's a dream, because I never go to shul Friday night in real life- except in my previous apartment, which was less of a shlep).

Anyway, I come back from Shul and everyone is there and hungry. I realize I'd forgotten to make absolutely everything. I rummaged up a box of matza and half a bottle of wine and ppl made kiddush and hamotzi. I served the hastily prepared cholent for a soup. And then while people were eating, Hippoboy and I began to frantically rummage through my fridge for food to serve. There were lots of vegetables that had been in there all of pesah but were miraculously still fine. We began to slice and dice and prepare these elaborate salads out of nothing. While these were run to the table and I began to panic at not having a main course, I sat down on the floor of my kitchen (another conspicuous difference with real life, as my kitchen itself has no floor but is in a closet attached to another room)and began to rummage despondently through another freezer that magically had materialized. I was rather glum untill I turned around and saw Hippoboy, who spoke words of comfort, telling me that it would be a lovely dinner and look how many nice things had already happened! Then we found a quiche for a main dish and pecan bars for dessert.
So that means we had

Potato-blackbean soup
Assorted Salads (some of which were quite beautiful, hearty, and mealish)
Quiche
Pecan bars
Matza and Wine

Would you like to have been at this meal?

No comments: